Essiac/Flor Essence (PDQ®)
NOTE: The information in this summary is no longer being updated and is provided for reference purposes only.
- Essiac and Flor Essence are herbal tea mixtures that are sold worldwide as health tonics or herbal dietary supplements (see Question 1).
- Essiac was first promoted as a cancer treatment in the 1920s. Flor Essence was created a number of years later (see Question 2).
- Supporters of Essiac and Flor Essence say that these products make the immune system stronger, have anti-inflammatory effects, relieve pain, decrease side effects, and show anticancer activity (see Question 3).
- Laboratory, animal, and clinical (human) studies with Essiac and Flor Essence have not reported clear evidence of an anticancer effect (see Question 5 and Question 6).
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved Essiac or Flor Essence as a cancer treatment (see Question 8).
- Updated: January 7, 2015
This text may be reproduced or reused freely. Please credit the National Cancer Institute as the source. Any graphics may be owned by the artist or publisher who created them, and permission may be needed for their reuse.